Love sparkle and shine and want to incorporate it into your wedding day? Afraid that your other half won’t be quite as excited as you about glitter everywhere? We have a list of some of the best, but also most subtle, ways to incorporate a little shimmer into your big day without going overboard. After all, we all know how glitter tends to stick around, and your partner might not appreciate picking it out of his or her hair for weeks to come. Choose one, choose all – it’s completely up to you two! These suggestions will satiate your craving for glitz without all the mess! We also love how our real DC area wedding couples have incorporated sparkle into their big day, so don’t forget to check those out as well.
1. Glitter Table Numbers – This is a great item that you can DIY! These will add a little glamour to your table-scape without looking too intense! Stick them in your centerpiece arrangements for a little added whimsy. Your guests won’t be able to miss these eye catching pieces when scanning the room for their place setting. Looking for a way to keep things tidy? Etsy Weddings has some great alternatives for pre-made sparkle table numbers!
2. Fancy Footwear – We are pretty obsessed with unique wedding shoes and sparkly ones are our absolute favorites. There are so many different options out there for your feet on your wedding day, so why not add some shine? Whether you are going for heels, flats, or even sneakers, there is a shiny shoe out there for you! These make for amazing getting ready pictures, and if your groom opts for some special footwear as well, a couple shoe picture is in the cards. These little details can add so much personality to your big day!
3. Cake – Adding a little shimmer to your wedding cake is the perfect way to add subtle nods to the glitzy! Our amazing DC area cake vendors are constantly coming up with unique designs that incorporate whatever your heart desires! We love a little gold foil, or gold icing. It just gives your cake a little bit of a boost and is sure to impress all of your friends and family in attendance!
4. Accessories – We all know that there are tons of accessories available that will make your wedding gown sparkle. From headbands to belts, earrings to bracelets, and everything in-between, we love when a simple gown is transformed by a little crystal and glitter! If you want to opt for a more traditional look for your ceremony but want to get the party started with a little bling at the reception, a belt or different headpiece is perfect! Take off your traditional veil after the processional and opt for a crystal headband, hairpin, or even a crown for your big entrance into the reception!
5. Table Linens – Brighten up your cocktail hour with some fun accent tables. Cocktail tables are typically high tops that guests can mingle at while sipping on their favorite beverages. These tables stick around during the reception and are perfect for a dance break. Adding a glittery linen will liven up the space and make fun a nice treat for your guests who want a little glamour in their day! Don’t forget to include other ancillary tables like the cake table, guest book table, and gift table to your list for sparkle linens, too! Want to go bigger and bolder? Put a sparkle linen on all of your dinner tables for that extra wow factor!
6. Bridal Gown & Bridesmaid’s Dresses – If you are looking for something non-traditional to wear on your wedding day, a sequined gown is the way to go! Although this suggestion may not exactly be “subtle” we couldn’t help but include it! We love adventurous brides who opt for the road less traveled when it comes to their big day and we think a floor length gold gown like the one above is absolutely stunning! Of course your wedding day is your time to shine, but why not let your girls have a little fun too? Choosing sparkly bridesmaid’s dresses makes for fun pictures and eye catching dance floor fun. We love when the bridesmaids choose their own glittery designs all in one color family so that they can be comfortable when standing beside you as you take the plunge!
7. Rehearsal Dress – Not sure you want a gown that is all out sequins and crystals for your wedding day, but still craving a little sparkle in your wedding weekend? A sequin rehearsal gown is the perfect way to show off your sparkle! Not only will you look fab when practicing your walk down the aisle, you will turn heads at your rehearsal dinner and last night as a single gal! We love gold or silver sequins for this outfit!
8. Manicure – A super subtle way to include some glitter into your day is through a fun manicure! A little glitter accent heart on your ring finger will just add to the sparkler that your honey has in store for you at the alter! Or opt for a light all over shimmer on your fingers. Feeling bold? Full on sparkle on all ten fingers would be perfect for you!
9. Backdrops – Many couples decide to forgo the traditional church nuptials in favor for other ceremony venues, which allows for the greater design plan to be expanded to include all pieces of the wedding day. When this is done, the option of a backdrop for the ceremony space comes up. Do you want to get married in front of a screen, a building with some classic architecture, or possibly the rolling hills that are often found in the DMV area? If a backdrop is the way you choose to go, this would be the perfect place to add in a little sparkle. You have so many options for this such as hanging crystals, glitter fabric, or even the gold paillette ceremony backdrop that is featured in the photos above. These backdrops are great because they can be re-purposed for the reception as a fun background for the head table or photobooth photos!
10. Table Texture – Layering in bits of sparkle on your tables is a great way to delicately add pops of shine to your wedding design. We love the individual champagne bottles that one of our couples DIY’d for their big day. These made a great favor for guests to take home and really added to the tablescape and overall decor! You can also add sparkly chargers or DIY your votives with a little glitter to match your design scheme or color palette.
** Sparkle Send Off – We added this bonus idea because it’s not exactly subtle or mess free, but it sure is fun! Instead of sneaking off into the night with your new spouse, do a sparkle send-off where guests through glittery confetti in the air as you exit your venue at the end of the night. It looks great in pictures, so make sure your photographer will be there to document it! Also, be sure to check with the venue first to make sure this is something you can do. Sometimes they don’t have the ability to deal with the aftermath. If this is the case, opt for sparklers instead. You’ll get that glitter feel without the clean up!