Even if you hire an awesome DJ or band for your wedding, you’ll still need to make a few song selections. I’m talking the personal choices for those big time moments at your wedding, like cake cutting and the mother-son dance. We have you covered though with Ryan, local DJ and owner of Mixing Maryland. Ryan has put together a fun series for us (check back for more of his wedding song suggestions in the coming weeks!) on ideas for songs for those critical moments at your wedding. First up is the cake cutting. Take it away, Ryan…
The cake cutting tradition is one that dates back to the 17th century (no lie). And, as you can imagine, a tradition with that much history has a lot more that goes into it than just whether or not to smash the sweet stuff into your partner’s face.
In addition to choosing what kind of cake you want, or if you want a cake at all, you’ve got a bunch more decisions to make. For example, do you want cake toppers? If so, what are they going to be? Who’s going to make your cake? (See: list of DC area wedding cake and dessert bakers) How many people should you prepare to serve? And of course, what song would you like played during the whole ordeal?
While those questions are certainly important ones, I’m here to help with the last one. When you DJ over 40 weddings every year in the DC-metro area, you tend to get a feel for what works well. Here’s a short list of our favorite cake cutting songs that we’ve used so far this year.
We’ve split the songs into two groups, elegant/classy songs, and fun/themed songs so no matter what your style, you’ve got some good suggestions.
These songs are danceable and elegant, but upbeat enough to keep people focused on what’s going on in front of them – the bride and the groom sharing their cake cutting ceremony.
1. “A Wink and a Smile” by Harry Connick Jr.
2. “L-O-V-E” by Nat King Cole
3. “Lucky” by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat
4. “Love and Marriage” by Frank Sinatra
5. “You are the Best Thing” by Ray LaMontagne
6. “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Elvis Presley
7. “Come Away with Me” by Norah Jones
8. “Only Love” by Ben Howard
9. “Brand New Day” by Joshua Radin
10. “Closer to Love” by Mat Kearney
These of course tie in to the sweet nature of cakes – specifically icing. That being said, these songs are meant to be a little funny, clever, or both. So, choose your favorite and have fun with it!
1. “Sugar, Sugar” by The Archies
2. “Pour Some Sugar on Me” by Def Leopard
3. “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)” by James Taylor
4. “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bun)” by The Four Tops
5. “Ice Cream” by Sarah McLachlan
6. “The Sweetest Thing” by U2
7. “Cut The Cake” by Average White Band
8. “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar
9. “Eat It” by Weird Al Yancovic
10. “Recipe for Love” by Harry Connick Jr.
When choosing a song for your wedding, just remember this one thing – It’s your wedding! You only do it once, so make sure you’re happy with your selection and be sure to let your DJ know what song you’d like and which version if you’d like a special version to make sure you get exactly what you want.
Pro Tip: Some cake cutting festivities last longer than your traditional 3-minute song. So, feel free to give your DJ a second (backup) song for just in case the cake cutting runs longer than the song you’ve chosen.
Thanks so much, Ryan! Can’t wait to see more of your wedding song ideas! If you are looking for a DJ for your wedding in the DC area, be sure to check out Mixing Maryland.
Over the next few weeks, we’ll be sharing more of Ryan’s wedding playlist ideas, so be sure to check back. In the meantime, you can browse around the local DC area wedding galleries for ideas or find more advice from local DC area wedding pros.